Let’s do another hangout! Sorry for those that could not make the last one. I flubbed the zoom meeting settings that cause some people not be able to join. Lesson learned. I hope that you get to join us this time around.
I know that many of your are probably dying to know what things are looking like so far for Foundation 7. I need to say that this project is a long time off. It will be a complete modernization and refactoring of the entire framework. Here is a very brief list of concepts for Foundation 7. None of these are set in stone (except for maybe the first one).
- Native First is going to be a big thing for F7. I want F7 to leverage as many native browser components as possible for things like modals, accordions, etc. This means that we will will be able to keep the framework small and more performant. Similar to how mobile first became a trend, I want Foundation 7 to start this new trend.
- Dart Sass is the cool kid on the block now for Sass. We should be supporting that.
- Goodbye jQuery. Hello vanilla JS. (ECMAScript 2018+?)
- CSS Custom Properties (CSS variables). I have actually done quite a bit of work on this already.
- Simply the build process and dependencies (Parcel?)
- Foundation has 3 grid systems. F7 will keep that XY grid and need to come up with something new for CSS Grid. I have been playing around with this quite a bit. There isn’t much great things out there so F7 needs to be a trailblazer on this one. I would love some feedback from CSS Grid lovers out there.
- Utility classes are the rage now. Many of the most popular new frameworks are all class based. While I feel that utility classes have their place, I also feel that these new frameworks have gone too far. F7 will not be following their footsteps.
- Web Components are a much better mechanism moving forward. I feel that all F7 components need to be web components.
- I know there is a lot of love in the community for Stencil. However, I feel that Lit is a better bet for Foundation 7 to leverage.
- I am a huge fan of GSAP. While I do not want to make it a dependency. I would love to see if it could be made easy make it plug and play for those that want it.
- F7 needs a new website and a new documentation system. I am torn between a few options here and completely open to feedback.
I am super excited to chat with you about all of the above and more on the hangout next Thursday!