July Hangout for Foundation 7

Let’s do another hangout! Sorry for those that could not make the last one. I flubbed the zoom meeting settings that cause some people not be able to join. Lesson learned. I hope that you get to join us this time around.

Hangout Information

When: Thursday, July 22, 2021 @ 1:30pm - 3:00pm PDT check your timezone
Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89691357099
Passcode: 018759
Download Calendar Invite

Foundation 7 concepts

I know that many of your are probably dying to know what things are looking like so far for Foundation 7. I need to say that this project is a long time off. It will be a complete modernization and refactoring of the entire framework. Here is a very brief list of concepts for Foundation 7. None of these are set in stone (except for maybe the first one).

• Native First is going to be a big thing for F7. I want F7 to leverage as many native browser components as possible for things like modals, accordions, etc. This means that we will will be able to keep the framework small and more performant. Similar to how mobile first became a trend, I want Foundation 7 to start this new trend.
  • Dart Sass is the cool kid on the block now for Sass. We should be supporting that.
  • Goodbye jQuery. Hello vanilla JS. (ECMAScript 2018+?)
  • CSS Custom Properties (CSS variables). I have actually done quite a bit of work on this already.
  • Simply the build process and dependencies (Parcel?)
  • Foundation has 3 grid systems. F7 will keep that XY grid and need to come up with something new for CSS Grid. I have been playing around with this quite a bit. There isn’t much great things out there so F7 needs to be a trailblazer on this one. I would love some feedback from CSS Grid lovers out there.
  • Utility classes are the rage now. Many of the most popular new frameworks are all class based. While I feel that utility classes have their place, I also feel that these new frameworks have gone too far. F7 will not be following their footsteps.
  • Web Components are a much better mechanism moving forward. I feel that all F7 components need to be web components.
    • I know there is a lot of love in the community for Stencil. However, I feel that Lit is a better bet for Foundation 7 to leverage.
  • I am a huge fan of GSAP. While I do not want to make it a dependency. I would love to see if it could be made easy make it plug and play for those that want it.
  • F7 needs a new website and a new documentation system. I am torn between a few options here and completely open to feedback.

I am super excited to chat with you about all of the above and more on the hangout next Thursday!

3 Likes

Joe,

Thanks for repeating (and all your Foundation work!).

I have a schedule conflict. Will you post a recording of the call?

My comments would be:

• I would like to make sure existing functionality is reproducible in F7. Can be different structure, but should be able to do the same things in F7 as F6.
  • Love components.
  • Projected release? Thinking this is not by 2022 or early 23.

Bruce

I will definitely make sure that this session is recorded.

All existing F6 components will be migrated into web components. Then we will probably add a ton more on top of that over time. Something that I am thinking about is how layouts could possibly be “componentized”. :thinking:

Your release projections are on point.

PHP lover here as well… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Joe,

Great to join you for the first 1/2 hour. Let us know where the recording is posted so I can see the rest, but from what I heard, you are 100% on track for what I think Foundation should be.

Also, very much want to help you out. I am not an expert in CSS, DOM internals, and the JavaScript / TypeScript eco system, but can do things like transferring the videos to another account, help with docs, etc. Let me know what you need done.

Bruce

Hi, sorry, I couldn’t make the call either in the end. It would be great to hear a recording or a summary of it if possible.

Thanks!